Ireland’s Natural History Museum, sometimes called the Dead Zoo, houses one of the world’s finest and fullest collections still to be seen today. Two million species, of which roughly half are insects, live here. This zoological museum encompasses outstanding examples of wildlife from Ireland and the far corners of the globe, some to be seen today and others long extinct. The ground floor of this museum is dedicated to Irish animals, featuring giant deer skeletons and a variety of mammals, birds and fish. The upper floors of the building were laid out in the 19th Century in a scientific arrangement showing animals by taxonomic group. The museum was built in 1856 for parts of the collection of the Royal Dublin Society and building and collection were later passed to the Irish State. It is housed on Merrion Street in Dublin, Ireland.